Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Week 9


This week I wanted to further explore the idea of the Mexican holiday: Day of the Day. I already knew a few things about the festivities that are celebrated, but I wanted to know some more background information. The holiday is a version of the Roman Catholic Feasts’ and All Souls Day. It is unique to Mesoamerican legacy. It is a symbol of the nation itself. It has been celebrated from colonial times up until the present. The holiday is also seen as a political event for some. The holiday is typically observed November 1st and 2nd.

It is also known as el Dia de Arvimas (Souls Day), el Dia de los Firidos (Day of the Deceased) or el Dia de los Fieles Difuntos (Day of the Faithfully Departed)

Events take place from October 31st to November 2nd. {More information is available on the celebrations each day} There are three masses take place on November 2nd today.

The holiday is a key symbol of national identity, especially for those who live outside of Mexico.

Is this something that I really want to write about? I am not sure. While thinking about the Day of the Dead, I discovered that there is currently an alter honoring animals that have been used for human consumption at the Mexican Art Museum here in Chicago.  This is a fascination to me. In our culture here in the U.S. we have a disconnection with the animals that we consume. Here the animals have been honored and they are being respected.



Since one of my biggest passions is animal rights and advocacy, I became very interested and started thinking more about animal advocacy and how animals are used throughout the arts. I want to further explore the connection of human interaction in the arts throughout history.

I remember that in my twentieth century class that animals were being harmed for art purposes. This isn’t okay with me. Can animals not be harmed while making art? Yes, I whole heartily believe this to be true. It may have not been done before. Can we honor animals throughout the arts without exploiting them? Yes.

{To do: Find examples of animal advocacy in the arts in 20th century, contemporary art, and historical references}

I believe that art can be a vehicle for animal advocacy. I will need to further explore what is currently being done within this field.  I can imagine that it is growing, but it can’t be that big—{more research on this}

Even though I am really interested in exploring colonial churches of Mexico, I don’t think that is the direction that I want to go in. I am extremely passionate for animal and researching animal advocacy would be really exciting!!

It is interesting how you research on topic, which then leads you to another topic. The process of research is a really fascinating idea. Through this process I have learned so much about how I work best and what I am truly interested in researching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment