Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Research

I am still researching how I can connect contemporary Mexican architecture with colonial architecture. From my research on contemporary Mexican buildings, I have discovered an interesting architect and his work:  Luis Barragán.

Barragan developed Jardines del Pedregal de San Angel: an exclusive Mexico City subdivision designed and built between 1945 and 1953. Being an exclusive subdivision really intrigues me. What made it so exclusive?

I am even sure if I will try and use this for my paper/topic, but I find it very interesting and will keep it in the back of my head.

Sources: 


Postwar Modernism in Mexico: Luis Barragán's Jardines del Pedregal and the International Discourse on Architecture and Place
Keith Eggener


Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians , Vol. 58, No. 2 (Jun., 1999), pp. 122-145
Published by: University of California Press on behalf of the Society of Architectural HistoriansArticle DOI: 10.2307/991481
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org.emils.lib.colum.edu/stable/991481
http://www.scielo.org.mx/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1870-11912010000100007 {use for Bib}

InterSections: Architectural Histories and Critical Theories
 By Iain Borden


Other thoughts:
Still thinking about how to relate colonial architecture to modern. Is this possible? I think that is, but needs further research. I haven't been able to find much on modern "church" architecture? Why? There must most be a need for new churches to be built. The older churches still have a major presence in the lives of Mexicans, the same as when they were built. I question though if they have the same meaning as they did when they were constructed. I think for some of the population they do, but I don't believe that all of the population is greatly affected by the church architecture.  


To do this week:
More research
Interlibrary loan books requests

No comments:

Post a Comment