Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Background Research

Since I am not sure what direction I want to go with for my topic, I decided to work on some basic background/historiography of Mexican architecture and churches. I looked for information on both colonial and modern architecture.

While searching for information on modern architecture, I came across some interesting facts in the article The Preservation of Historic Architecture and The Beliefs of the Modern Movement in Mexico 1914-1963. In the article it looks at both modern architecture and preserving the architecture of the 17th-19th centuries.

Within the modern movement in Mexico, there were two important events that took place: one in 1914 and the other in 1963. In 1914, the architect Federico Mariscal influenced the thoughts behind preserving historical Mexican architecture. In 1963, the Plaza de las Tres Culturas took place and presented the preservation of previous centuries with critical components. This must be understood under a new cultural program endorsed by Jose Vasconcelos, the founder in 1922 of Public Education Ministry.

Mariscal was an important figure in preserving the viceregal architecture in Mexican culture and found that it was a primary element of Mexican Identity. He discussed the theory of "Motherhood and Nation" which concluded that buildings should be cherised and not destroyed; and the Mexican peoples are compelled to learn about this works.
      Note: This information is something that I have been wanted to find out. I want to somehow relate the contemporary back to the past centuries through architecture. I was very elated when I read about Mariscal!

Mariscal also discussed the importance of embracing the Mestizaje as the foundation of a new way of thinking. (Look for his book: La Patira y la Arqurlectura.)

I also found an interesting article on background information: The Catholic Church in Mexico. The article goes through this history of the Catholic Church in Mexico from the time of the conquest to present Mexico. I think there is valuable information that could be used whether I decide to focus on colonial or modern architecture.

Mexican Baroque: Capital is Puebla

Architect Lorenzo Rodriguez (Spanish) influence on design. Masterpiece is Sagrario Metropolitano in Mexico City, which I have seen in person. Churrigueresque style

Other church that I have visited Ss. Sebastian y Santa Prisca in Taxco. Very ornate, over the top, so much gold used.



No comments:

Post a Comment